Monday, March 14, 2011

Golf Course Cupcakes for Dad!

Photobucket

I'm normally in charge of making the birthday desserts in my family and every year I love thinking of a new and creative way to present my loved ones with a fun baked good! My dad's birthday was back in February and as his birthday present, I decided to make these golf course themed cupcakes!

Photobucket

My dad is an avid golfer so I knew he would love these! I loved how it made a whole course (18 holes) plus six sand traps. So adorable! I used my usual vanilla cupcake recipe that never fails but I cheated and used Pillsbury icing from a can. I was running short on time and I wasn't sure how great the sanding sugar would stick anyways with my usual vanilla buttercream. These were such a huge hit with my family and I think would be great for anybody who loves golfing!

Golf Course Cupcakes
Ingredients:
2 dozen vanilla cupcakes (or cupcake flavor of your choice)
1 can store-bought vanilla frosting
1 to 2 cups green sanding sugar
18 round white candies, such as candy-coated mint balls
1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs (3 to 4 sheets finely ground in a food processor)
18 toothpicks and strips of ribbon (for putting greens)

Directions:
Using an offset spatula, spread each cupcake with a smooth layer of frosting. Pour green sanding sugar into a small bowl. Dip tops of frosted cupcakes in the sugar, then sprinkle more on top to coat completely.

To create putting greens, make flags (you will need 18): Cut out lengths (3 to 4 inches) from white grosgrain ribbon. Fold each length around one end of a wooden skewer, and adhere folded sides together with hot glue or double-sided tape. Cut ribbon into a triangle shape, and plant the skewer into a cupcake. Place a small white candy "ball" near the flag.

To create sand traps, spoon about 1 teaspoon graham-cracker crumbs in the center of each of 6 cupcakes. With your thumb, make an indentation in the middle of each pile of crumbs, shifting it to one side to form a steeper side or to form an irregularly shaped trap. Refrigerate 30 minutes to allow frosting to set.

Source: Method adapted from Martha Stewart

No comments:

Post a Comment